Wednesday 7 August 2013

[RWBY] Ember Celica "The Dual Ranged Shot Gauntlets"

Easily on of my favourite weapons to date, Ember Celica is the weapon of choice wielded by one of the main protagonists in Rooserteeth’s new animation series RWBY. I absolutely love the visceral boxing mechanic these are used for in the show and knew I had to make a set for myself as something to own as well as for completion’s sake to keep the other three company.


Starting off the build, I first made rough templates of the soon to be gauntlets out of paper and thin card. Making sure that the fit allowed me or any wearer to be able to slide them on and off with ease as well as to check if they looked good from a distance.


It's good to do paper mock-ups of armour props before you actually go about cutting them out from the more expensive material itself,  as you'll start to iron out issues through trail and error earlier on using the cheaper disposable material instead of later  and avoid wasting unnecessary material.


 After refining them to a point I was happy with, I then transferred the templates to several EVA foam gym mats, I particularly enjoy using gym mats on account of how dense and rigid they but more so on how simple they are to work with for armour; So with the aid of a steel ruler and good set of hobby knives the various pieces of the gauntlets were carefully cut out.


To do curves in EVA foam of which theses gauntlets and a lot of armour pieces have you'll definitely need the aid of a heat gun. EVA foam on its own will return to its original flat shape over time after any attempt is made to bend it. You can circumvent this by using a heat gun or a strong enough setting on a hair dryer.


EVA foam is very susceptible to heat so by simply heating up the foam along the direction you want to curve, and then bending it and holding it in the desired final position as it cools you'll find piece holds it shape and structure, however try not to heat the foam too much at once, gradually heat and gradually bend to avoid melting.

 


For the front business end of the gauntlets those I knew would have to eventually support the gun barrels and needed the width to do so. So I decided to make them out of sheets of PVC  by building them up around the EVA foam base giving me the platform for future work.



I should mention for this build to assemble and adhere to EVA foam pieces to one another the best course of action is to use superglue. It is relatively cost effective to use and when used particularly with foam it has an instantaneous welding effect.


With the components of the base gauntlets glued together next step was to start on the shotgun shell bandolier that ran along inside them. Again through rough sketches and trial and error with paper templates.

 

I cut out and super glued to the base gauntlet the necessary foam strips to make up the chambers of the weapon. I also with the aid of a rotary tool at this point started to do some bevelling along some of the edges of the gauntlet.


As for the physical shells them selves those were made from cheap thin plastic tubes pulled off dollar store mini bicycle pumps, these tubes were cut in half with a rotary tool and carefully cut to length.

 

To do the brass heads of the shotgun shells, circles were cut out from the PVC sheeting and then shaped and trimmed into semicircles which were attached to the tube halves which give the impression of shotgun shells 



 After the glue had set the shells these were then put into and glued with epoxy into each of their respective chambers slots.



For the gun barrels those came about as a result of me carefully sawing them off cheap cowboy pistols and sealing up the exposed faces with a combination of filler putty and wonderflex, before gluing them onto the business ends I had prepared earlier.


Now we come to the painting phase. however with all types of craft foam you need to first seal the material before you can undergo painting of any kind. Without sealing the foam before painting, you will find the paint will not adhere to the surface very well and end up being absorbed by the material resulting in a poor looking final product.

So to seal foam the most common technique is to use is a mixture of 1:1 PVA glue (wood glue) and water. Then using this resulting milk like mixture, proceed to do multiple coats onto the piece with a cheap paintbrush.



At minimum I like to do somewhere between 8 to 10 coats allowing each coat to fully dry before going onto the next, to get a good surface to work with. The more coats you do the more you’ll feel the foam get stiffer, less spongy and eventually appear glossy.



With the foam properly prepped the actual paintwork could begin; For ember Celica  the paint job consisted of multiple stages. First was a grey primer layer which helped fill in any still exposed imperfections and sets up the surface for painting.


Followed by two coats of a flat yellow acrylic spray-paint layer, I should mention  when using spray paints of any kind please wear a respirator and so in a well ventilated area.


For added flare I did some light gold sunbursts and gradients along the edges of the gauntlets with an airbrush. It adds a depth to the paintjob I feel and once those were dried I started doing the line work with my good friend the brush tipped fabric marker sharpie.


The shotgun shells were coloured with red enamel hobby paints and gold acrylics for the brass caps.


The gun barrels themselves were spray painted chrome and had subtle black acrylic paint smudged into he details to make them stand out.


  Capping it all off with a final layer of weathering which was achieved by dabbing a combination of black and brown acrylic paints onto the surface, allowing it to dry slightly and then smudging and wiping away the paints with a damp paper towel to get a desired look, 


  A very simple technique and definitely worth trying out, it adds a gritty aesthetic to the prop.

Thanks for reading

36 comments:

  1. this is so amazing! I have been dying to now how to make Yang's gauntlets ever since her trailer! Thank you so much for making a tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You so much!

      I Look forward to seeing how they turn out :D

      Delete
  2. Oh my... The photos are offline? ;-;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies please do bear with me whilst this is being sorted ^^

      Delete
  3. Are you planning to do Adam's weapon?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have any cut out designs for cutting out the shapes for the gauntlets? and what are the sizes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. how did you make the top part stay put? u made and painted it separetly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much I cut the top piece separate bent it with the heat gun and superglued it to the rest

      Delete
  6. For the front end, do you fold on the dotted line thats on the template? And do you put the front end on the front of the base cylinder?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great tutorial, I can't wait to make my own. This is one less weapon me and my group need to worry about

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck to you, let me know how they turn out

      Delete
  8. My Best friend and I are going as Yang and Ruby for Dragon Con, SO thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck to you, Let me know how it turns out

      Delete
  9. Hello. I am completely new to the whole process of creating cos-play props, and I have no experience, but I really love RWBY. I was wondering if there was a way to put up a more clear representation of how exactly to carve the gym mats, as I have no artistic vision or talent, but I also have no money to buy the friggen bazillion dollar ones on various websites. I understand if thats too time consuming, but it would be greatly appreciated. Besides this carving bit I feel I could probably pretty accurately follow the rest of these instructions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's not so much carving as it is just cutting out templates, the foam I'm using are from gym mats and I just use a good box cutter and steel ruler, as for making the curves I'm doing that with a heat gun and bending the foam into the desired shape as it cools

      Delete
    2. My trouble lies more in the shapes to cut out. I need the actual templates, if that's at all possible.

      Delete
  10. I made these but the paint chipped alot during travel,so now im stuck re-making the entire thing.
    How can i stop it from chipping?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read how long the instructions on the paint you are using say to let the item dry. This is just to be sure the paint is sealed in. After that, I applied Mod Podge all over the gauntlets. I used the clear acrylic matte since it is easier just to spray the stuff all over, but the matte also comes in a glue-like form that you can apply with a foam brush. Both are the same sealants; it's just personal preference on how you apply it. It dries clear and has held up with all my painted props.

      Delete
  11. oh wow... this is just amazing. I'm cosplaying Yang in 2 months, I hope I can make them look half as good as these!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i would buy a pair of these from you if you would be willing to make a pair for me, just tell me how much i would need to pay you

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can you please make a video instead

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, I was wondering if you would consider selling these? If so please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How exactly do you get these on and off, and will they stay in place on your arms? I'm making them for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you sooooooooooo much!!! A couple of friends and I are going to cosplay the group and I had no clue how to even get started and I'm too much of a perfectionist to buy a cheap copy from china as well as to cheap to request someone professional to make it :-)

    Love you :-*****

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. They look amazing! If so you could reach me at c.s.walker23@gmail.com

      Delete
  18. These look incredible! I'm making a pair myself and was simply wondering how long you think it would take to completely finish them? Also, would using painted doweling work in place of the cowboy gun barrels? (That's all I have access to)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So, with all these people asking for the templates on every prop you do, you still wont give the templates? That seems a bit selfish to me. Its like you don't want people to make them like yours. I'm making Wilt and Blush for Halloween, and it would have been a billion times easier if i would have had the templates. The only time you ever respond to a comment is when they say you did a good job. I don't appreciate you ignoring peoples comments, just because you don't want to give your precious templates out. Grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Y'all are stupid. The templates for the main RWBY weapons are under 2013 October.... Learn to look people.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Instead of using Red Acrylic paint for the shot gun shells, I used a Red brush tipped sharpie and it worked wonders

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello!! These are amazing! I just had one question. The piece that goes over the shell bandolier looks like it is removable. I was wondering if you just glued it on after the paint job and everything or if you used a different method so that they are removable. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A fellow Australian rwby fan! :D I'm so glad you posted this, I'm currently in the process of making it. Can I ask where you bought for foam from? Cause I used a different kind than the one you used. And also, I've been wondering... did you buy the gun and the bike pump from the reject shop? Cause I swear I bought the same ones.

    ReplyDelete
  25. these photos are not showing up for me??? would love to use this but I cant see them

    ReplyDelete